Sunday, March 20, 2011

A trip to Katikela...

*** During my last visit to Jharsuguda, I had been to katikela (A small village near Jharsuguda town). I was going to the village after three years. Really, the sleepy village has turned into an active site. The eye catching greenery, well developed road, improved water facility, and the well groomed public certainly can change the viewpoint of any opinion maker.
But for me, the unforgettable part of my trip was getting an opportunity to have “Desi chicken” in a Dhaba. Please don’t get me wrong because I am a chicken foodie. During the lunch, I had an opportunity to have “Desi chicken” after so long (around after 2-3 yrs). Frankly speaking, in the towns you can have poultry chicken but the taste of “Desi” variety is for one to taste it to believe it. It was so delicious that till now I can feel its fragrance in my hand. I had already finished my work. So I had to return but I planned to take some desi chickens for my family. Some villagers suggested me that to do a visit towards Sabita’s chicken farm where I might get that.
In a village like Katikela, looking at Sabita’s Poultry farm, I was just shocked. It’s not that it was as big as 25-30 thousand chicken in it, but the way she had managed that, she must be appreciated. On a casual talk with her, she explained how her life had emerged with a smile from an unrelenting plight which some day seemed to be everlasting. Her husband, Asok Kisan had been a daily wager and Sheela also used to collect the firewood from the adjacent forest and selling them, both had been earning some pennies. That was not enough to manage such a big family consisting of three kids. Then she opted for joining VIJJY programme which helped her to enhance her standard of living. She had gone through skill development trainings, financial support and group assistance as and when required under this project. Now she is a well known poultry farmer in Katikela. She told about some of her friends, Sumedha Pradhan of Katikela, Bilasini Rohidas at Banjari, Saraswati Kisan etc who have succeeded due to this VIJJY programme. Though I was not lucky enough to get my chicken there, but I was delighted to witness the grooming development of a remote village.
Later, I came to know about VIJJY that it is a livelihood programme running by Vedanta in its periphery villages. The programme Vedanta jana Jivika Yojana (VIJJY) intends to promote the livelihood sustainability among the rural women.
After seeing Sabita, I can feel that the project empowers the rural women not only by providing them a good standard of living but also making them independent and a good decision maker.



No comments:

Post a Comment